Job TitleSecretary/ Dispatch Gilcrest – Wooster, OH OhioMeansJobs.com Job # 227375872
This is a brief synopsis of overall job duties.
The Secretary/ Dispatch is responsible for secretarial duties as well as transportation duties. These include answering the phone and/or questions from customers at the window, filing, scheduling, dispatching Transportation Specialists, and ensuring there are sufficient copies of all forms.
Education: Minimum educational requirements include a high school diploma (or equivalent) with two years’ experience; or an associate degree.
License: Current driver’s license.
Pay: $12 per hour
- Computer skills
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Pass a drug and alcohol test
- Understand written and oral instructions
Experience: Two years of experience is required if no college degree is held.
Personal Skills and traits Desired:
- Clear verbal and written communication skills
- Evidence of effective problem resolution skills
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations
- Respect for authority
- Ability to work independently and follow scheduled plans
- Respect for the rights of the residents, including the right to privacy and the right to make choices
- Work well with others
Secretary/ Dispatch Assigned Tasks
- The transportation schedule is the heart of transportation. The Secretary/ Dispatch will set the schedule every day. It must be set up with the following in mind:
- All clients for transport to and from the Adult Day Center and to and from appointments.
- Each client will be assigned to a Transportation Specialist, keeping in mind any special needs/ request they may have.
- A copy of the schedule will be given to each Transport Specialist, as well as one copy to the Adult Day Center Aides and one copy put on file.
- Any changes to the schedule must be approved or sent to the Transportation Director.
- The Secretary/ Dispatch is responsible for the following secretarial duties:
- Handling all questions, complaints, and concerns from customers at the window
- Answering the phone and returning or forwarding messages
- Sending, checking, and responding to emails when necessary
- Filing paperwork into the respective places
- Ensure there are sufficient copies of all necessary forms
- He/she is responsible for keeping record of visitors in the building with the sign in sheets.
- The Secretary/ Dispatch is responsible to take any questions, comments, and concerns of employees and or clients to the Human Resources Director or resolve them him/ herself.
- When a new customer calls in, the Secretary/ Dispatch is responsible for creating a customer profile, including:
- Name, address, and phone number of clients
- Insurance information and any pertinent information needed for billing
- Any specials requirements/needs they may have that would be important for the Transportation Specialists to know (i.e., wheelchair, walker, missing limbs, blindness, deafness, etc.)
- Case manager name, if applicable
- Date, time and location of appointment; the doctor’s name and phone number if applicable
Parts a., c., and d. are then put onto a client list. A copy of these needs placed in each vehicle and is as current as possible.
- When needed, the Secretary/ Dispatch will contact a client’s case manager to get transportation approved. Once he/she approves the transport, it will need to be printed and filed.
- When clients for transportation -either to the Adult Day Center or to an appointment- cancel, the transport schedule must be updated, and all appropriate people notified. These include the Adult Day Center Aides and Transportation Specialists.
- All Daily Transportation Sheets and Medical Transportation sheets should be printed and placed on the respective Transportation Specialist’s clipboard. Clipboards must be set up by the end of each day for the next morning’s transports, then again by noon for afternoon transporting. This is to ensure all transporting is as current as possible.
- The Secretary/ Dispatch must attend all in-services.
- It is important to always keep track of client and Transportation Specialists in case there are changes that need to be made. If a client calls in to the office, notify the appropriate Transportation Specialist.
- In order to cut back on unnecessary driving, there are several calls the Secretary/ Dispatch can make:
- Contact the client the night before to ensure they are being transported and inform them of their pick-up time
- Contact the client’s destination to confirm the appointment
- Secretary/ Dispatch is responsible for ensuring the Transportation Specialists are filling out all proper paperwork correctly, including:
- Medical Transportation Sheets
- Daily Transportation Sheets
- He/ She must also ensure all forms are up to date:
- Daily Check List
- Daily Transport Sheets
- Medical Transport Sheets
- Professionalism is important at our facility, and the dress code must be followed whenever you are on the clock.
- Company tops will be given to you upon employment.
- Bottoms can be pants, Capri’s, long skirt, or Bermuda shorts (below the fingertips). Approved colors for bottoms are Black, Grey, Brown, Navy, or Tan. (on Saturdays only, denim bottoms are allowed)
- Undershirts that show beneath your uniform top must be Black, Grey, Khaki, White, Navy, or Royal.
- Shoes must be of slip resistant and cannot be open. (Must be closed toes and backs).
- A nametag will be provided by the company and must be always worn.
- Your uniform must be tear and stain free.
- Earrings must be small hoops or studs.
- No Lanyards or Necklaces should be worn that will not easily release if grabbed.
- No large rings (To protect participants skin from tears & scratches).
- Absolutely no tongue rings or facial piercings.
- Absolutely no perfume, scented after-shave, scented lotions, or body sprays of any type.
- Nails must be kept short, clean and smooth (To protect participant’s skin from tears & scratches).
- Hair must be clean and pulled back from the face.
- For males, beards and mustaches should be clean and well-trimmed.
- All Tattoos must be covered up unless otherwise approved.
- Additional company shirts are available for purchase upon request.
- Upon quitting or termination of employment, all uniform items provided by the employer, must be returned.
- Daily bathing, good oral hygiene and regular use of deodorant are expected.
- The Secretary/ Dispatch will be screened before hiring and during employment. Random screenings during employment will occur for the safety and liability of our clients. Results which are deemed to put clients or the company at risk will result in the immediate ineligibility and/or termination of the employee application and/or employment. These screenings include, but are not limited to
- Drug Screening
- FBI & BCII Fingerprint background check
- Participate in and promote staff participation in facility-wide special activities, such as dress-up days and special observances.
- Contribute to the facility efforts to maintain and/or improve the quality of care.
- Mental Demands:
Keeping record of and being responsible for many things at one time can be stressful. The Secretary/ Dispatch will be working in a busy environment. There may be a number of situations happening at once, so it is important to keep a calm and respective attitude towards fellow employees, clients and customers.
Secretary/ Dispatch is responsible for the proper copying of and documentation of the following forms and reports in accordance with State law and company policy:
- Daily Transportation Sheets
- Medical Transportation Sheets
- Attendance Record Forms
- Job Applications (put in HR mailbox)
- Sign in Sheets
If for any reason the Secretary/ Dispatch is not able to document and file, the forms then they must notify the Transportation Director. Please note, it is your responsibility to report to the proper authority any behavior from residents and/or other staff members that endangers or threatens the well-being of other residents and/or staff members. Any comments, questions or concerns that any resident and/or yourself may have can be directed to the Transportation Director.
This job description is intended to convey the general scope of the major duties and responsibilities included in the position. Other tasks not listed here may be assigned by the Transportation Director. Periodic revision may be necessary to reflect changes in expectations placed on long term are by the Area Agency on Aging. This job description will be reviewed and/ or revised by the Transportation Director annually and as needed.