Job TitleSeasonal Overnight Staff Severe Weather Shelter – Wooster, OH OhioMeansJobs.com Job # 245970627
General Roll Description: Overnight Shelter staff provide support to shelter residents during the overnight hours. A general summary of responsibilities includes providing a safe, clean environment, supporting and assisting guests utilizing the shelter, and documenting any safety/security concerns or rules violations.
Status: Full – time, seasonal contract (1099) work from December 1 – March 31.
Availability Requirements: Overnight staff must be “on call” for 10 hour shifts from 10pm -8am weeknights and weekend nights from December 1st to March 31st when temperatures outside are or feel like 25 degrees F or less (no more than 40 per week). Two such positions are being sought. Some flexibility in specific nights worked is possible.
Areas of Responsibility: Essential Responsibilities/ Functions
- Be available to guests and provide support and crisis intervention response if needed.
- Arrive to work on time and release evening volunteers and be updated on current guest issues.
- Communicate necessary guest information to day staff and/or shelter management to keep them informed.
- Follow and enforce Shelter Guidelines, Polices, and Procedures with Shelter guests.
- Support and assist guests with their shelter needs as they arise (ex. Questions, concerns, hygiene supplies, bedding, food, community resource information, etc.).
- Maintain safety and security of shelter property, and report concerns to Shelter Management or to the authorities.
- Ensure the privacy and safety of other guests by not allowing anyone other than guests, staff, and caseworkers or law enforcement on the premises.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the shelter through performing housekeeping tasks outlined in Staff Task List (ex. Sweeping, mopping, wiping tables)
- Complete Shelter Inventory and organization/shelter upkeep duties as assigned.
- Perform basic maintenance as needed (ex. changing lightbulbs, plunging toilets) and report any major maintenance issues to Day Staff/management.
- Document guest attendance on the calendar each night and complete the required documentation including but not limited to intake forms, task check-off lists, incident reports, and other documentation as required.
- Sustain positive, supportive and respectful guest relations while maintaining a professional and non-personal distance, i.e., maintain professional boundaries.
- Support our focus on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion – this includes the ways that people may be different than you. Refrain from using slurs or other derogatory terms, gossiping or coming to conclusions based on race, gender identity, sexual orientation, primary language, religion, physical or mental ability or other ways that people that we serve, or employ may be different from you.
- Complete training tasks as assigned when new team members join the overnight staff team.
- Attend required meeting and trainings.
CompanySevere Weather Shelter
- Previous social work experience or degree preferred but not required.
- Valid driver’s license or reliable transportation to work in downtown Wooster, Ohio.
- Ability to pass background check.
- Ability to work up to 40 hours of overnight shifts per week.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional boundaries while working with clients.
- Ability to thrive in a flexible, fast-paced environment while maintaining a positive solution-oriented and client-centered approach.
- Experience in crisis intervention and problem solving with the ability to diffuse situations without heightening the conflict.
- Be attentive throughout the night and able to respond effectively to emergency situations.
- Understand or willingness to train in areas such as trauma-informed care, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of guests.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to be compassionate and firm towards guests.
- Ability to accurately record information for required client and staff documentation while maintaining confidentiality and strong boundaries.
- Reliable transportation to get to your designated work site in downtown Wooster, Ohio.
- Ability to walk, climb or descend stairs, kneel bend and twist.
Disclaimer: The Wooster Housing Coalition, Salvation Army, and Wooster Homelessness Task Force reserves to modify, interpret, or apply this job description as needed to meet the needs of the Severe Weather Shelter. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties, including essential duties, to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This job description is not an employment contract, implied or otherwise. The employment relationship remains contract-based (1099). These job requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified disabled individuals.
About Partners For Housing: The Wooster Salvation Army, The Wooster Housing Coalition, Wooster Homelessness Task Force, and United Way provide homeless families and individuals with shelter, food, and opportunities for interaction with a case worker during the coldest winter nights. These organizations all work to serve vulnerable populations in Wooster and Wayne County.