Job TitleResearch Chemist – Innovation and Technology Division – Seaman Corporation – Wooster, OH OhioMeansJobs.com Job # 237877323
The Research Chemist should be a highly motivated individual with 5+ years of R&D. The Research Chemist will take guidance and direction from the Scientists, Engineers, and/or Research Manager in I&T. The Research Chemist will be required to conduct practical experiments in the areas of chemical formulation, polymer chemistry, rapid prototyping, and/or materials science to create composite materials for product development and application testing. The Research Chemist should have experience in liquid (plastisol) and hot-melt compounding formulation procedures to produce, apply, and test new compound formulas effectively and reproducibly. The Research Chemist will support product development activities by developing new formulations to meet customer and market needs. The Research Chemist will work closely with other Scientists, and Production and Process Engineers to effectively scale and commercialize new PVC, plastisol, isocyanate, polyurethane, other polymeric coatings and adhesive fabric composite systems. This individual will work as a cross-functional team member with sales, marketing, and product management to understand and quantify customer unmet needs and to develop commercial solutions. The individual will be a valued member of the I&T team and will be expected to provide data-driven status-updates and research progress based upon the learnings he/she develops from practical experimentation.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
Research and Development
- Work with R&D Manager and other Scientists to plan and prioritize experiments for R&D projects
- Follow formulation procedures to formulate, apply, and test materials to required quality standards safely and reproducibly
- Develop and produce sample quantities of materials for product development and application testing
- Collect data and create reports/updates to advance research plans in a timely manner
- Maintain laboratory notebooks and other records as required
- Research new methods to improve safety, efficiency, reproducibility, cost, and scalability of developmental products
- Protect intellectual property through patent applications and communicate relevant technical data through presentations at external customers’ sites
- Represent company at industry events
- Work with process engineers and manufacturing to scale new products in production
Laboratory Safety and Upkeep
- Participate on safety committees and safety auditing process
- Maintain housekeeping to the established standard which provides a safe and efficient work environment
- Maintain prototyping and analytical equipment to reliable performance and visibly pleasing standards
Exploratory Work and Innovation Pipeline Development
- Research and develop new product concepts based on current and developing Seaman technology platforms
This position requires:
- BS/MS Chemistry (organic, polymer, analytical, materials science) or chemical engineering
- 5+ years of R&D experience
- Strong problem-solving and trouble-shooting skills a must
- Ability to design DOEs and Data acquisition plans to drive iterative technical development is a must
- Ability to analyze complex data sets to identify most important variables
- Ability to organize and clearly communicate technical information is a must
- Experience in formulation of plastisol and dry blend PVC preferred
- Experience and exposure to product development a plus.
Qualified candidates should apply online at www.seamancorp.com/careers .
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V
To build a diverse workforce, Seaman Corporation encourages applications from individuals with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women.
Seaman Corporation is a drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug screening required.