Job TitleResearch Chemist – Innovation and Technology Division – Seaman Corporation – Wooster, OH OhioMeansJobs.com Job # 230493002
Founded in 1949, the Seaman Corporation is a multi-generational family-owned global specialty materials company that produces a broad range of differentiated products. With the vision of being simply the best coated industrial fabric producer in the world, Seaman Corporation connects deeply with customers to deliver innovative products and solutions with a dedication to excellence in all that we do. The company is committed to growth through innovation by combining our core technology platforms with deep customer insight to create valuable technologies and products to grow its leading positions in attractive end-markets such as building and construction, infrastructure, and transportation. The company is headquartered in Wooster, Ohio in the metro-Cleveland area.
The Applications Research Chemist is a key part of the Innovation and Technology (I&T) team at Seaman Corporation. The role is for a hands-on technical specialist to solve important product development challenges to exceed customer expectations. The Applications Research Chemist will design and execute developmental trials on laboratory, pilot, and manufacturing equipment to create novel products through polymer and adhesive formulations. The individual will be responsible for selecting and formulating PVC, plastisol, isocyanate, polyurethane, and other polymeric coatings and adhesives to be applied to various fabric substrates. The individual will work as a cross-functional team member with sales, marketing, and product management to understand and quantify customer unmet needs and to develop commercial solutions. The successful candidate should communicate effectively and function in an innovative and entrepreneurial team environment.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Deploy a deep understanding of structure-property-performance relationships of PVC formulations and coatings
- Have hands-on experience with design and formulation of PVC coating systems
- Have experience using design of experiment and data acquisition plans to drive iterative technical development
- Provide technical support to evaluate the feasibility of solving technical challenges to inform project selection and portfolio development
- Work with I&T, Business Division, and Operations management to advance projects through product development gates and communicate with stakeholders to ensure proper hand-off at each step
- Ability to work with and connect complex data sets to identify the most important variables
- Translate ideas and concepts into detailed and actionable technical work plans that enable the safe and effective execution of experiments in a timely fashion
- Comfortable exploring new technology areas for technology-market fit with the goal of launching new technology-driven projects
- Assist customers with application development, technical support, and scale-up
- Develop supplier and innovation partner relationships to meet customer needs
- Stay up to date with relevant industry, academic, and trade literature
- Prepare technical presentation and supporting literature development to document work and train the I&T staff
- Protect intellectual property through patent applications and communicate relevant technical data through presentations at external customers’ sites
- Represent the company at industry events
- Travel (up to 20% of time) dependent on projects, partners, and customers
This position requires:
4-year college degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or alternative STEM discipline. STEM Graduate degree a plus. Five or more years working in comparable role in a B2B manufacturing environment.
Qualified candidates should apply online at www.seamancorp.com/careers .
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V
To build a diverse workforce, Seaman Corporation encourages applications from individuals with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women.
Seaman Corporation is a drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug screening required.