Job TitleResearch Engineer – Innovation and Technology Division – Seaman Corporation – Wooster, OH OhioMeansJobs.com Job # 230495464
Founded in 1949, the Seaman Corporation is a multi-generational family-owned global specialty materials company that produces a broad range of differentiated products. With the vision of being simply the best coated industrial fabric producer in the world, Seaman Corporation connects deeply with customers to deliver innovative products and solutions with a dedication to excellence in all that we do. The company is committed to growth through innovation by combining our core technology platforms with deep customer insight to create valuable technologies and products to grow its leading positions in attractive end-markets such as building and construction, infrastructure, and transportation. The company is headquartered in Wooster, Ohio in the metro-Cleveland area.
The Applications Research Engineer is a key part of the Innovation and Technology (I&T) team at Seaman Corporation. The role is for a hands-on technical specialist to solve important product development challenges to exceed customer expectations. The Applications Research Engineer will design novel products and execute developmental trials on laboratory, pilot, and manufacturing equipment to create prototypes and develop processes to produce them. The individual will need a basic knowledge of the design of composite/coated web structures to meet physical property requirements, knowledge of coating compound formulation as it relates to both compound/product performance and handling and will be responsible for designing and developing fabric web handling, combining, and coating processes needed to make the product. This individual will work collaboratively with other product development scientists, outside resources, when needed, and process engineers to ensure product fit with existing coating processes or develop new platform technologies supporting multiple product lines. The individual will work as a cross-functional team member with sales, marketing, and product management to understand and quantify customer unmet needs and to develop commercial solutions. The successful candidate should communicate effectively and function in an innovative and entrepreneurial team environment.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Have a basic understanding of composite structure design
- Have a basic knowledge of coating compound design and formulation
- Deploy a deep understanding of continuous web-handling processes
- Have experience designing laboratory and pilot processes that correlate with plant processes
- Have hands-on experience with common web combining processes including liquid and hot-melt mixing and compounding processes, and web coating processes. Have an intimate knowledge of direct rotogravure, knife over roll, pad coating, and hot melt calendar coating technology
- Have experience using design of experiment and data acquisition plans to drive iterative technical development
- Comfortable designing performance fatigue tests with physical, mechanical, and/or chemical failure modes.
- Provide technical support to evaluate the feasibility of solving technical challenges to inform project selection and portfolio development
- Work with I&T, Business Division, and Operations management to advance projects through product development gates and communicate with stakeholders to ensure proper hand-off at each step
- Ability to work with and connect complex data sets to identify the most important variables
- Translate ideas and concepts into detailed and actionable technical work plans that enable the safe and effective execution of experiments in a timely fashion
- Comfortable exploring new technology areas for technology-market fit with the goal of launching new technology-driven projects
- Assist customers with application development, technical support, and scale-up
- Develop supplier and innovation partner relationships to meet customer needs
- Stay up to date with relevant industry, academic, and trade literature
- Prepare technical presentation and supporting literature development to document work and train the broader organization
- Protect intellectual property through patent applications and communicate relevant technical data through presentations at external customers’ sites
- Represent the company at industry events
- Travel (up to 20% of time) dependent on projects, partners, and customers
This position requires:
4-year college degree in Chemical Engineering, Polymer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or alternative STEM discipline. Engineering Graduate degree a plus. Five or more years working in comparable role in a B2B manufacturing environment.
Qualified candidates should apply online at www.seamancorp.com/careers .
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V. To build a diverse workforce, Seaman Corporation encourages applications from individuals with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women. Seaman Corporation is a drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug screening required.